Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A glimpse in the rearview

In May, I volunteered to help present information about the after-school class I teach at a music teachers conference.  I would only need to take about 10 minutes.  A week before the conference, I wrote out my ideas and felt generally prepared.  Still, the night before the conference I started having some anxiety about it.  Suddenly I realized I was going to be talking to people who had a lot more experience as teachers and who also know more about music than I do.  I felt inadequate for the task.
After spending an hour practicing, I realized that I did know what I was doing, and what I wanted to say.  It was not an hour wasted, it was a necessary hour of preparation.
The reason this experience was so significant is that I signed up for it because I wanted the learning experience.  I knew what kind of conference it was going to be when I signed up, I just felt the magnitude the night before.
Then I was granted the larger insight.  A 10-minute speech is pretty insignificant compared to a whole week or month.  Just as this life is such a small portion compared to all of eternity.  I can imagine myself on the threshold before my earthly experience feeling excited and anxious and probably a little inadequate. But I volunteered, knowing the road ahead, because I wanted the learning experience.  
Think about your life.  What learning experience did you sign up for that is overwhelming you? Remember you knew, and you knew you could do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment